Friday, December 13, 2013

Contributory Parent Visas for Australia

Reuniting families and ensuring that they can live together is one of our most important jobs at It's vital that you get your application right first time and provide all of the paperwork the authorities require to ensure that you don’t waste time that you could be spending with your loved ones. has a global network of offices, with branches based in the world’s top immigration destinations. This means that we’re likely to have an office near you, and we also have an office in Sydney to provide local support based on global knowledge. We know how reassuring it is to put a face to a conversation, so we offer in-person meetings at our offices and regularly keep in touch throughout your case to make sure that your application is progressing as it should. 

Are You a Contributory Parent?
There are two options within Australian parent visas; contributory, and non-contributory. Contributory parent visas have far more visa places available each year and contributory parents have to make a much higher contribution to future health and welfare costs. However, non-contributory parent visas have a processing queue of up to 15 years and are not recommended as an immigration option.

In addition to proving a family link to your child in Australia, Contributory Parent Visas require:
  • That your child is over the age of 18
  • That your child has been a permanent resident of Australia for at least 2 years
  • That you meet standard health and character requirements
  • That you provide an Assurance of Support

An Assurance of Support is a legal document that states your assurer will repay any benefits paid to you by Australia. This money may be held in a bond for up to 10 years. 

While there are no age restrictions on this visa, and visa holders can work in Australia, applicants must meet the 'balance of family' test. This requires the applicant to have an equal or greater number of children living in Australia than in any other country. 

The cost of this visa and necessary contributions/bonds vary according to the type of parent. The options are Contributory Parent, Contributory Parent (Migrant) and Aged Parent – your consultant will ensure that your application is submitted under the correct category.

What Does This Visa Provide?

The Contributory Parent Visa provides passage to Australia so that you can join your adult child(ren) anywhere within the country. The temporary visa is valid for 2 years, and it can’t be extended or renewed, but you can then apply for the permanent Contributory Parent Visa at any time. It also provides a pathway to Australian citizenship if you fulfil the requirements.

If you choose to apply for a permanent Contributory Parent Visa, you will benefit from:
  • A shorter application process
  • A reduced visa charge when lodging the permanent application
  • No re-assessment of ‘family balance’
  • No further health checks
If you do not apply in time, or submit an incomplete application, you will not receive these benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment